Why study this course?
This hands-on three-day course will give you a taste of rug making, and in particular, rug gun tufting. This technique of using a rug gun to make your own rug is much faster than hand tufting and brings its own rewards. You’ll be able to explore your own design vision, whilst mastering the process and techniques involved in using a rug tufting gun.
More about this course
This course will introduce you to the design process of rug tufting so you’ll be able to create your own piece with the techniques you have learnt. You’ll learn how to select appropriate materials and refine your use of colour and composition within textile design.
You’ll leave this three-day course with a better understanding and confidence in your abilities to design textiles, a new set of hands-on skills and a completed rug sample of your own design.
This course is designed for:
- anyone who has an interest in rug making, textile design, colour and composition or interior products
- those who want to learn about the tools associated with textile design and rug making
- anyone who has an interest in making or crafting
This technique is hugely popular, very satisfying and fun, so all are welcome on the course.
Who’s this course for?
This course is suitable if you are either a beginner or already at an intermediate level.
- Introduction to rug tufting
- Positive attributes of rug gun tufting
- Practice session
- In pairs, you will practise a series of techniques
- One-on-one design critical session – we’ll show examples and what to think about when designing
Following the first day and before the next session, you’ll work on your final sample designs and how you want it to look overall.
In pairs, you will either rug tuft your design or have a design session with your tutor – you will then swap over.
Design sessions will cover:
- different yarn types
- colour selection
This will then lead on to a session on how to evolve what you have learnt on this course and what your next steps should be.
- You will be completing your rug samples.
- There will be a final group presentation, where you will discuss your outcomes and how best to proceed going forward.
By the end of this course, you will have learnt to use the rug gun and learnt how to take an idea, develop it into a design and create an actual piece of work based on your concept.
What our students say
“I really enjoyed the course and got everything that I wanted out of it. I left feeling excited to carry on with the tufting, filled with lots of ideas for further projects. Claire was a great tutor, thanks so much!”
|Course dates||16 to 30 March 2019|
|Length||One day a week for three sessions|
|Day and time||Saturday, 11.30am to 5.30pm|
|Maximum class size||6|